February 6, 2007

Another Webcam Bites The Pixel Dust

Ebay to the rescue? I bid for and won another cam with great specs: 4 MP resolution, built-in microphone, digital zoom, guaranteed to work with Skype video, etc., etc. all for about $35! See the pix here:



All right, overseas shipping cost just as much, pound for pound, if you know what I mean.

Installation is almost a charm - everything works except voice input. Bam! BAM!! BAM BAM!!! Can't even start the webcam app next day - it just crashes and crashes...so does Skype. A frantic emailing session and new driver download later the same sequence of events repeats. Yuck!!!!

While I do make a point of buying from or supporting small vendors like myself, there comes a time when I can't be a guinea pig anymore. I must say, on the other hand, that the seller, UK Tech has proved to be very helpful in trying to make this thing work and accepting its return for a refund. I can heartily recommend them - but not for Mac gear....

P.S. The saga continues...the Microtek MV500 combo camcorder/webcam is already on its way!

No comments: